“You not only can but must lead situations where you genuinely need help. No one except you can say exactly what s stopping you, exactly where you re blocked by confusion or ignorance. Take charge not by demanding and then ignoring the help that’s offered but by figuring out as clearly as you can just what you need, then requesting assistance from people who, in your judgment, are likely to be able to provide it.”—Martha Beck
Experience is not what happens to you, it is what you do with what happens to you.
WEBSITES YOU WILL LOVE
The 40 Best Places to Learn Something New Every Day. August 2016
Learn something new and get smarter with these awesome sites and courses.
A few decades ago, when you wanted to learn something new, it meant spending a couple of evenings a week at a local school, maybe taking a photography or bookkeeping class from a bored night school instructor.
Today, the worlds of learning and personal or professional development are literally at your fingertips. The open learning movement has made the opportunity to get smarter in your spare time completely accessible to anyone with an internet connection, and it’s exploded in recent years.
On one of the more popular online learning sites, Udemy, there are over 30,000 courses available…and that’s just on one site!
So here’s what I want you to do: Challenge yourself to learn something new every day. It can benefit your career, your personal life, and your mental well-being, making you a happier and more productive person overall.
To help you get started, here are 40 amazing places to learn something new:
1. Lynda.com: Where over 4 million people have already taken courses.
2. Your favorite publications: Make time to read and learn something new every day from your favorite blogs and online magazines.
3. CreativeLive.com: Get smarter and boost your creativity with free online classes.
4. Hackaday: Learn new skills and facts with bite-sized hacks delivered daily.
5. MindTools.com: A place to learn leadership skills (see more great places to learn leadership skills online here).
6. Codecademy: Learn Java, PHP, Python, and more from this reputable online coding school.
7. EdX: Find tons of MOOCs, including programming courses.
8. Platzi: Get smarter in marketing, coding, app development, and design.
9. Big Think: Read articles and watch videos featuring expert “Big Thinkers.”
10. Craftsy: Learn a fun, new skill from expert instructors in cooking, knitting, sewing, cake decorating, and more.
11. Guides.co: A massive collection of online guides on just about every topic imaginable.
12. LitLovers: Practice your love of literature with free online lit courses.
13. Lifehacker: One of my personal favorites!
14. Udacity: Learn coding at the free online university developed by Sebastien Thrun.
15. Zidbits: Subscribe to this huge collection of fun facts, weird news, and articles on a variety of topics.
16. TED Ed: The iconic TED brand brings you lessons worth sharing.
17. Scitable: Teach yourself about genetics and the study of evolution.
18. ITunes U: Yale, Harvard, and other top universities share lecture podcasts.
19. Livemocha: Connect with other learners in over 190 countries to practice a new language.
20. MIT open courseware: To learn introductory coding skills; plus, check out these other places to learn coding for free.
21. WonderHowTo: New videos daily to teach you how to do any number of different things.
22. FutureLearn: Join over 3 million others taking courses in everything from health and history to nature and more.
23. One Month: Commit to learning a new skill over a period of one month with daily work.
24. Khan Academy: One of the biggest and best-known gamified online learning platforms.
25. Yousician: Who said when you learn something new it has to be work-related?
26. Duolingo: A completely free, gamified language learning site (find more language learning sites here).
27. Squareknot: Get creative with other creatives.
28. Highbrow: A subscription service that delivers five-minute courses to your email daily.
29. Spreeder: How cool would it be to be able to speed read?
30. Memrise: Get smarter and expand your vocabulary.
31. HTML5 Rocks: Google pro contributors bring you the latest updates, resource guides, and slide decks for all things HTML5.
32. Wikipedia’s Daily Article List: Get Wikipedia’s daily featured article delivered right to your inbox.
33. DataMonkey: The ability to work with data is indispensable. Learn SQL and Excel.
34. Saylor Academy: Offers a great public speaking course you can take online, and see more free public speaking courses here.
35. Cook Smarts: Learn basic to advanced food prep and cooking techniques.
36. The Happiness Project: Why not just learn how to be happy? I’d give five minutes a day to that!
37. Learni.st: Expertly curated courses with the option of premium content.
38. Surface Languages: A good choice if you just need to learn a few phrases for travel.
39. Academic Earth: Offering top quality university-level courses since 2009.
40. Make: Learn how to do that DIY project you’ve had your eye on.
There’s no reason you can’t learn something new every day, whether it’s a work skill or a fun new hobby or even a language! Do you have a favorite place to learn something new? Share yours in the comments.
Originally published on Inc.com
For the environments in your life
Reduce unwanted catalogs.
Inventions, patents, designs, creative ideas and products.
A webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language.
Don’t miss the funnies.
Must have my FB or FW fix. (For better or for Worse by Lynn)
Your place to buy and sell all things handmade.
Pinterest is an online pinboard. Organiza and share things you love.
Make a difference from the comfort of your own home!
Kiva Microloans www.kiva.org
Kiva lets you connect with and loan money to unique small businesses in the developing world. The videos on the site are of some of the entrepreneurs around the globe who are receiving loans from individuals through Kiva.org.
For each answer you get right, they donate to help end world hunger.
CLICK DAILY to help fund free mammograms. CLICK DAILY to donate free food. CLICK DAILY to give free child healthcare. CLICK DAILY to give free books. CLICK DAILY to protect endangered habitat. AndCLICK DAILY to give free food and care to the Animal Rescue Site.
Women for Women International, Inc. www.womenforwomen.org
By choosing to give the gift of sponsorship through Women for Women International, you are forging an everlasting memory for two women. Your unique gift creates a very special, one-to-one bond between your friend and a woman in a war-torn nation who desperately needs her help and friendship.
Marc Gold founded 100 Friends in 1989 as a grassroots effort to provide funds
and various services for those not receiving assistance from any other sources.At least 85% percent of all donations go directly into the hands of the poor.
New Chapter believes Nature got it right the first time. That is, nourishment, protection and health that come from a whole food complex– not from the synthetic vitamins, minerals and chemical herbal isolates you’ll find in most supplements. In fact, they hesitate to even categorize New Chapter products as food supplements. Rather, New Chapter is supplemental food, because it is food.
Stephanie Pearl-McPhee goes on (and on) about knitting.
Torrey Witherspoon shares her life as she lives in a 2 bedroom log cabin in the woods in Iowa.
LIFE PLANNING, COACHING, SELF DEVELOPMENT
Martha Beck is a fantastic author and Professional Life Coach. Her Blog is outstanding. It is educational and very funny. See what Martha offers to people interested in becoming a coach, finding a coach or connect to a vast array of products and learning resources available to you. If you have chronic pain, check out the link showcasing her personal story and up-to-the-minute information, great medical advice, a downloadable booklet full of tools and tips that could turn your life around.
This is Byron Katie’s official website. If you are interested in learning more about “The Work” you will be able to review worksheets, and video clips of Byron Katie as she facilitates her process.
About the art of meaningful action. It’s the synthesis of productivity, personal development, and creativity – in short, it’s how we get out of our head, off our rear, and into the world. It’s that sweet spot between incessant navel gazing and mindless doing. Check out FREE PLANNERS.
Where passion is primary, and joy and fulfillment are everyday experiences.
MiracleThought is a principle, an idea, a quote or an insight to help you miraculously navigate your day. On her daily podcasts, Marianne offers a plan of action that shows listeners how spiritual principles can make a significant difference in the quality of their lives.
You CAN make a profit while making a difference.
Self help for people who wouldn’t be caught dead reading self help.
Pamela Slim is a seasoned coach and writer who helps frustrated employees in corporate jobs break out and start their own business.
Tim Brownson “A ‘Real Life’ Coach. Daring Adventure Life Coaching
Do you love music? Get personalized concert alerts from your favorite artists in iTunes. Share playlists and recommendations with friends.
NEWS & ANALYSIS
AlterNet is an award-winning news magazine and online community that creates original journalism and amplifies the best of hundreds of other independent media sources. AlterNet’s aim is to inspire action and advocacy on the environment, human rights and civil liberties, social justice, media, health care issues, and more.
A magazine or community that speaks to a new generation of parents.
Have you ever wanted a better way to:
- Get great book recommendations from people you know.
Keep track of what you’ve read and what you’d like to read.
Form a book club, answer book trivia, collect your favorite quotes.
StoryCorps is an independent nonprofit project whose mission is to honor and celebrate one another’s lives through listening to each other’s stories.